Concerning the previous ten years, the Greater schooling of Pharmacy on the Faculty of Tennessee Properly being Science Center has enhanced its research awards noticeably, revised its curriculum, launched new diploma plans, expanded its statewide footprint, and rated as a Prime 20 school of pharmacy. All these accomplishments have come beneath the management of College of Pharmacy Dean Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, PhD, MPH, MBA, FCCP, FASHP, Speedy.
Proper after 10 years on the helm of the college, Dean Chisholm-Burns has acknowledged a state of affairs as the longer term govt vp and provost of Oregon General well being & Science College (OHSU) profitable in July. She’s going to carry on being at UTHSC till the conclusion of the tutorial calendar yr in June to guarantee a clean transition.
“It has been my wonderful honor and privilege to function dean of the UTHSC College of Pharmacy in extra of the ultimate 10 a few years,” Dean Chisholm-Burns claimed. “I’m so happy with our learners, college, workers, and alumni, and all we’ve got attained. In my remaining time as dean, we’ll keep on doing work with one another with relentless willpower to acquire the school’s mission and eyesight.”
At some stage in Dean Chisholm-Burns’ tenure, the upper schooling:
- Has been repeatedly rated as a Prime 20 faculty of pharmacy by U.S. Info & World Report
- Quadrupled its funding for exploration from the Nationwide Institutes of Wellbeing (NIH), elevating its rating for NIH funding from round 40 to 14 amid rather more than 140 colleges of pharmacy within the area
- Launched the Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences diploma, as successfully as many twin-degree and certificates plans
- Acknowledged a a few-12 months accelerated PharmD pathway, providing an choice for licensed pupil pharmacists to full their coaching and enter the workforce only one 12 months earlier than
- Opened its Nashville campus, increasing coaching alternatives for college students past the acknowledged Memphis and Knoxville alternate options
- Amplified scholarships for the pupil system, letting 100% of the scholar human physique to have a scholarship
- Executed and expanded its regional tuition program nationwide, enhancing entry and affordability for college students
- Created strides within the places of range, fairness, and inclusion. The most recent incoming classes had been probably the most numerous within the faculty’s heritage. On high of that, the school has promoted an inclusive custom and ecosystem.
“Marie has been an excellent dean for 10 a very long time and a key member of the UTHSC management workers,” mentioned outgoing UTHSC Chancellor Steve J. Schwab, MD. “Her innovation and resolve display in every particular person issue of the Greater schooling of Pharmacy. We want her absolutely the superb as she leaves UTHSC in June, simply after graduating the Pharmacy Course of 2022.”
Dean Chisholm-Burns retains a lot of ranges, corresponding to Well being care supplier of Pharmacy, Be taught of Public Wellbeing, Be taught of Enterprise enterprise Administration, and Physician of Philosophy. She is the founder and director of the Therapy Entry Software program, which boosts medicine entry to good-organ transplant recipients serves as Tennessee Commissioner for the Instruction Restoration and Innovation Price and is a board member of the American Society of Transplantation and the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Training and studying.
She has been given near $17 million in funding from exterior grant funding from sources just like the NIH, foundations, and discipline has way over 365 publications (peer-reviewed journal articles, publications, book chapters, abstracts) and has gained a number of nationwide awards for management, examine, instructing, and firm.
“Marie is a gifted colleague, who has had a outstanding have an effect on in major the Greater schooling of Pharmacy to unparalleled successes,” defined incoming UTHSC Chancellor Peter Buckley, MD. “Undoubtedly, Marie will excel at OHSU, and she is going to make us actually proud. The search for for a brand new dean for the Faculty of Pharmacy is poised to draw best-caliber candidates for this extraordinarily enviable management prospect.”
A analysis committee beneath the route of Vice Chancellor for Tutorial, College, and Scholar Affairs Cindy Russell, PhD, RN, and College of Nursing Dean Wendy Likes, PhD, DNSc, APRN-Bc, FAANP, will right away begin off the search for for a successor to Dean Chisholm-Burns.